While it can sometimes be adorable to have new cats roaming around in a neighbourhood — things can quickly turn sour if they have a bad spraying problem. Some people even have a problem with stray cats getting inside their home and marking their territory. This is especially common if you own other pets such as cats or dogs. In this blog post I’ll give you my best tips on how to stop a stray tom cat from spraying, whether it’s right outside your house, in your garden or your porch. Been there — done that.
Before I go into what you can do — I just briefly want to touch on the reason why cats feel the need to mark their territory. The reason is quite simple, really. It’s one of the ways they communicate with each other. They can tell a lot about each other based on the smell of the cat urine. Most commonly — that the place belongs to the sprayer.
For a male cat, spraying serves the purpose of attracting a mate during mating season.
Now that you know why cats feel the need to spray, I’ll go into 5 things you can do to prevent it from happening in the future.
- Deter stray cats with scents:
- Neutralize the cat spraying smell:
- Use a motion detection device:
- Secure your cat flaps:
- Offer to dog sit for a few days:
After you’ve followed these steps — you shouldn’t be having such a big problem with stray cats spraying any longer. If you’re looking for a more permanent way to get these cats to actually stop spraying — which I recommend most of my blog readers to do — give Cat Spray Stop a try. Created by Susan Westinghouse, a vet and cat specialist, Cat Spray Stop is an all-encompassing guide designed to help you stop cat spraying in your home in as little as 30 days using a unique method called the TTS method.
I have tried Cat Spray Stop with great results, and have also published a review of it over here. Good luck!
Latest posts by Emily Bachmann (see all)
- Why Cat Urine Smells So Bad — and My Best Tips on What You Can Do About It 👃 - June 16, 2020
- How to Use Cat Pee as a Mouse Deterrent (5 Tips) 🐭 - June 14, 2020
- What You Can and Cannot Expect from Spaying or Neutering Your Cat - June 8, 2020
- Q&A: How to Solve Common Litter Box Problems 😼 - June 6, 2020
- 3 Astonishingly Simple Ways to Stop Your Cat Peeing On The Bed Tomorrow 🛌 - June 3, 2020